Buying Bear Spray: Purchasing Guide by BearSmart
Buying Bear Spray: Purchasing Guide
Please visit our trusted partners at BearSmart Society here for full details on bear spray.
Print BearSmarts resource on using a bear spray and take with you! Be informed, be respectful and be safe!
- strength: spray should have a minimum concentration of 0.857% capsaicin
- container size: spray should be at least 225 grams or 7.9 ounces of net weight
- type of sprayer: spray pattern should be in a cloud/cone pattern
- length of spray: spray should last at least 8 seconds
- range: spray should have a range of 5 meters or about 16 feet
- type: not all “pepper sprays” are the same: ensure that you are using a bear deterrent spray, not a personal defence product (where legal), like mace, designed for use on people or dogs
- number: try to carry at least two canisters per group
- shelf life: should have a shelf life of 4 years after initial purchase
- certification: in Canada, bear spray does not have to be certified or tested – therefore, it is essential that you purchase your spray from a reputable company
The Get Bear Smart Society recommends: Frontiersman, Counter Assault, Defense Aerosols (Yukon Magnum and Bear Defence Professional) and UDAP. You can also purchase a survival kit.
Photo Credit: BearSmart Society - considering donating. For family friendly safe bear viewing visit www.whistlerphotosafaris.com